Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

0 Compression #2 Cylinder

gregory914
03-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Thinking about buying an '02 Grand Cherokee Limited (4.7 V8) with 90K miles. Runs but makes puffing sound like a blown head gasket. the dealer took it to a corner garage and their diagnosis is "0 psi on #2 cyl. due to timing chain skip". That's all I got!

It starts and runs relatively smooth and only makes that puff puff sound. My questions are;
-do these engines skip time with the chain still attached and the motor running.
-are they a "conflict" motor.
-could it be a stuck valve or head gasket.
-trying to determine if it's worth pursuing and the worst case situation.

Has anyone had any similar issues with one of these motors, if so, what was the problem.

Thanks for any input :confused:

GTP Dad
03-12-2012, 08:10 AM
I suggest that you walk away from this one. Timing chains do not skip where only one cylinder would be affected and with 90K miles it is almost unheard of. Also with "0" compression there is something more going on here like a dropped or damaged valve, bad valve seat or even a damaged cam shaft. Don't waste your money as this one will only cost you much more in the long run.

gregory914
03-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the advise. However, this Jeep is in excellent condition other than the motor issues and I was thinking worst case I'd replace the motor with junkyard unit for about $1600. I think I can buy this for around $4K, so for a $6K investment I've got a low mileage one owner Grand Cherokee Ltd.

GTP Dad
03-12-2012, 02:09 PM
If you can purchase the vehicle for that price it would be worth replacing the engine. Of course ever wonder why he has it listed so cheap?

hundahunta
03-16-2012, 02:46 AM
dropped seat very common, remove the valve cover you'll probably see the rocker arm lying in the head....

Add your comment to this topic!