Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Grand Cherokee headlight problem

bshire19
02-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Im having trouble with my 2003 grand cherokee. At night time, when i turn my lights on, a message comes up where the temperature and and compass are that says "turn signal on" and has an arrow pointing to the left. The left side drivers headlight is dim, passenger side is fine. Both high beams are on and also very dim. When i turn my high beams on, the left headlight goes out and only the right stays on. While the low beams are on and i turn the left turn signal on, the signal will turn on(blinks irregular) and both high and low beam bulbs will flash(not on and off, but brighter/dimmer). I have checked all the bulbs and fuses, somebody please help!

fredjacksonsan
02-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Two things come to mind for me:

Either there is a wiring short circuit somewhere,

or

The multifunction switch has gone bad. I've had odd things happen when the multifunction goes bad, one vehicle blew light bulbs in the taillights when I triggered the high beams.

I'd take a look at the wiring around the headlights and signals. If they look OK my call would be to replace the multifunction switch. It's a pretty easy job, all that needs to be done is remove the shroud around the steering column, then 2 bolts/screws and an electrical plug connector to disconnect and reconnect.

edit: One other thing. There have been numerous posts on here recently where folks have had corrosion inside their positive battery cable, up to 8" from the battery. The reduction of voltage caused by the corrosion can cause odd issues. This is less likely since your description indicates the came things happen each time....but worth a look if the switch doesn't fix it.

hutch9190
12-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Hey Guys, I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 overland except it is the passenger side headlight. I originally thought it was a problem with my HID kit i had installed (passenger side flickering) but after removing it and going back to stock i discovered this dimming issue. Have you by any chance fixed the problem yet or do you have any new advice?

Add your comment to this topic!