Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brakes for 02 Overland

overdoseland
01-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Hows everyone doin? Good I hope. Happy New Year to you all!
Haven't posted in awhile. My 02 Overland is gonna need a brake job ASAP, was wondering what's a good brake pad and rotors to use? Can I use different brand rotors for the front than the rears? I see EBC have some pretty pricey ones. Brembo makes front ones for $85 per rotor on autopartsway. EBC must be pretty good. If anyone has any better recommendations please feel free to comment.

fredjacksonsan
01-04-2012, 09:07 PM
I've just gone with whatever store brand is available, usually not the cheapest. Brembo is a good company I don't think you'd go wrong with them.

overdoseland
01-05-2012, 03:54 AM
I've just gone with whatever store brand is available, usually not the cheapest. Brembo is a good company I don't think you'd go wrong with them.

Ok, thanks for the insight. I'm getting a grinding noise on my driver side rears. I took a look at the rotors and its a bit scored. I can see the pads are worn down completely. The right side rears are worn but not as bad as the left. Is it normal for one side to wear faster than the other? I don't get any pulling to one side when braking so I don't think the calipers are seized. I also have another question. Is it ok to put new pads on worn rotors temporarily? I know its not recommended but I don't have all my tools here. I plan to buy the cheapest pads I can find and slap them on till I return to my other home which is 1100 kms away. You think that will be ok?

fredjacksonsan
01-05-2012, 08:13 AM
You can put pads on scored rotors, but your braking effectiveness will be reduced since it will be a smaller surface area making contact.

That said, they're on the rear and our Jeeps probably brake 80% on the front.

I guess your plan is to make a "field repair", drive it home and make it like new again. That would be my plan also, in your situation.

And yes, uneven wear is possible; there can be a difference in pressure, or worn calipers or any number of things to cause it. Nothing to worry about unless it is causing a handling issue.

overdoseland
01-06-2012, 03:24 AM
You can put pads on scored rotors, but your braking effectiveness will be reduced since it will be a smaller surface area making contact.

That said, they're on the rear and our Jeeps probably brake 80% on the front.

I guess your plan is to make a "field repair", drive it home and make it like new again. That would be my plan also, in your situation.

And yes, uneven wear is possible; there can be a difference in pressure, or worn calipers or any number of things to cause it. Nothing to worry about unless it is causing a handling issue.

Changed out the rear pads today. Brake pads on a jeep are a little PITA to put on. Had to fiddle with it before the one side of the pad snaps in place. Not sure if grease is needed on the back of the pads on one side but I put some on anyway. Don't think it would hurt it. No more grinding and surprisingly they work really well even with the scored rotor. I bought cheap Raybestos pads which cost me $47 CAN for the set. Total cost including some supplies ran me a little over $60 CAN. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

fredjacksonsan
01-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Welcome. The grease shouldn't hurt anything; usually when it's required there's a small packet in with the pads.

overdoseland
01-06-2012, 08:03 AM
I noticed after I did the pad replacement that the parking brake lamp on the dash does not light up when I pull the E-brake. Any ideas what might be causing that?

fredjacksonsan
01-06-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm thinking that when everything was worn, the sensor was activated to illuminate the brake light....now that you've put new pads in, it's not worn far enough to activate.

overdoseland
01-06-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm thinking that when everything was worn, the sensor was activated to illuminate the brake light....now that you've put new pads in, it's not worn far enough to activate.

Is there a possible fix for this? Also, could it be the brake light switch where the e-brake is in the center console?

fredjacksonsan
01-06-2012, 04:07 PM
IMO a fix is not required....it was fixed when the new shoes were installed.

Drive home with confidence and install the permanent fix as discussed earlier.

overdoseland
01-06-2012, 04:15 PM
IMO a fix is not required....it was fixed when the new shoes were installed.

Drive home with confidence and install the permanent fix as discussed earlier.

Ok, the main thing is that the brakes work. It could just be a bulb in the dash b/c when I turn the ignition to the on position the e-brake light doesn't illuminate either.

fredjacksonsan
01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Hopefully you're home by now and can do a proper repair.....

overdoseland
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Hopefully you're home by now and can do a proper repair.....

Thanks, I'm not home just yet. Surprisingly my brakes are working quite well right now even with the scored rotor. I've heard that the Teve's calipers that are on my Jeep are reported to warp rotors. I think I've experienced it before I had my first brake job done by the stealership. Although I haven't had any problems with the calipers warping my current rotors right now. I'm thinking about changing the front ones to Akebonos and leaving the rears Teve's.

Add your comment to this topic!