Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Saving $ on transmission fluid

killermrob83
12-14-2011, 09:59 AM
After a brief search of a few auto parts stores (AZ, AA, etc.), I'm finding out that I cannot locate Mercon V in gallon quantities. I'm looking for gallons as it is usually much cheaper to buy in bulk. Around here, the stores want $7/qt, which seems ridiculous to me. Thought I'd give the local Ford dealership a call to see what they offer. Turns out they sell quarts, as well, but also sell it in bulk to customers who are having transmission work (filter change or whatever) done there. I asked the parts guy if he could sell it to me in bulk, to which he responded, "yeah, sure, I guess so, as long as you have your own containers. The price is $3.10/quart (I didn't ask how much they retail the quarts for, but I'd say much higher), so you can bet I'll be purchasing from the dealership in the future! Can't say if this will be the same case in your area, but like the old adage goes, "it doesn't hurt to ask."

rhandwor
12-17-2011, 05:47 AM
After a brief search of a few auto parts stores (AZ, AA, etc.), I'm finding out that I cannot locate Mercon V in gallon quantities. I'm looking for gallons as it is usually much cheaper to buy in bulk. Around here, the stores want $7/qt, which seems ridiculous to me. Thought I'd give the local Ford dealership a call to see what they offer. Turns out they sell quarts, as well, but also sell it in bulk to customers who are having transmission work (filter change or whatever) done there. I asked the parts guy if he could sell it to me in bulk, to which he responded, "yeah, sure, I guess so, as long as you have your own containers. The price is $3.10/quart (I didn't ask how much they retail the quarts for, but I'd say much higher), so you can bet I'll be purchasing from the dealership in the future! Can't say if this will be the same case in your area, but like the old adage goes, "it doesn't hurt to ask."
Advance lists it for $5.49 a quart. Amazon sells Valvoline Dex Merc in gallons.
Check if it meets the Ford Specification.

Blue)(Fusion
12-17-2011, 10:35 AM
EVen retail, the dealer had the best price on MERCON V ATF versus the other auto parts stores.

Add your comment to this topic!