Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking at a 98 Grand Cherokee Limited, What to check?

johnt671
10-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Just took a look at a nice Grand Cherokee Limited at a dealer with 160,000 miles on it. Its in very nice shape inside and out, and pretty clean underneath. I'm new to 4 wheel drive and jeeps an would like to know what I should look at on this. Thanks.

fredjacksonsan
10-18-2011, 08:00 PM
If it has the Full Time 4wd system, go into the parking lot and do a figure 8, turning as tightly as you can. If the vehicle "lunges" or feels like it's hopping, then the viscous coupler will need to be replaced.

You didn't say what engine is in it, but I think that year had the 5.2L V8. Pretty good engine for longevity.

Basically a sound design, if I think of any other issues I'll post back.

johnt671
10-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the ifo. At the time I posted I didn't have to much info on it because I was window shopping at a close dealer. I went there after work on Monday for a better look at it and went for a test drive, and put a deposit on it. It needed a couple of things fixed on it and it looks like I'll be picking it up Friday.

It is a six cylinder with (I think) the 241 transfer case. It has modes for 2 wheel, 4 wheel part time, 4 wheel full time and 4 low. It ran nice and shifted into all drive mode good. It does have a few small issues that I'll need to work on but I like to do as much of the work on my cars as I can.

Once I pick it up and start working on it I'll be in here looking for help. This will be my first 4 wheel drive vehicle, although I've driven a lot of military 4 wheel drives, from a 1/4 ton jeep to 5 ton trucks.

fredjacksonsan
10-19-2011, 07:32 PM
You've got the better of the transfer cases....the 4.0/241 combo should last a long long time. Just keep fresh fluid in the trans (I drop the pan and refill every 30k on my 2004).

Enjoy!

Raimundo
12-30-2011, 11:15 PM
YOU ARE RIGHT.4.0/241 New Progress transfer case ha ha. no snow can stop it ha?? ohh, I forgot , with the AW4 transm..out of the way!!!

Add your comment to this topic!