Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 p71 coolant leak

p71Interceptor
07-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi i got 2000 crown vic p71 with 126,000 miles and theirs is a leak coming from top heater hose connected to the intake manifold. when the car is driven then parked its starts to leak but sometimes it doesn't leak after its been driven. if its parked over night it doesn't leak. i took the heater hose off and noticed there was a crack so i cut the hose because i couldn't find the police silicon hoses and put new clamp on and it stop leaking for a two days but now it leaks here and there, i took to mechanic and he said he don't see a leak and the hose is good. can anyone help thankz

Blue)(Fusion
07-21-2011, 05:43 PM
It very well could be a crack in the plastic intake manifold. It's a common failure point. If the intake manifold is cracked, no amount of sealant will fix it - many have tried, all have failed.

You will need a new intake manifold if that is the case. It is about a 4 hour job from a novice person following instructions and you can get everything you need for $200.

p71Interceptor
07-22-2011, 06:23 PM
i have been driving the car and its not leaking, does that mean the crack isnt that bad or it will get worse cuz i do see a crack on the hose fitting, not the hose on the part were the hose gets put on too and then clamped. also is there a site for direction on telling you step by step what to do or should i just start to unbolt screws out. thankz

Blue)(Fusion
07-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Here is all you need to know for the intake manifold replacement.

http://www.autoclinix.com/Manifold.htm

It's easier than it looks, just take your time. You will only need basic hand tools. Be sure to tighten the bolts to the appropriate torque and in the proper sequence. You can usually rent a torque wrench from a local auto parts store.

You should replace it ASAP before the plastic manifold cracks badly. Once it does, you will be stuck with an overheated engine, which will also likely require head gaskets replaced and other service.

p71Interceptor
08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
update on the leak it was the intake manifold had a crack by the upper heater hose which lead to cylinder four flooded with coolant. i got to it just in time because the end of the spark plug wasn't all oily or didn't have any sign of wear on it. took me 6hrs to complete the job because of a bolt i couldn't get to which i had to take off in order to take the injectors out. once i took the intake out all the coolant leaked into the air way in the engine so i had to suck it out with a pump. once installed new one put everything back started it and kinda shook in beginning like the whole motor was shaking but i new it had to be the coolant present in the chamber or were the gas gets burned. but now it runs good and no more leaks. if u got any questions or need help on the intake manifold job hit me up. did it my self costing me 280 bucks for new intake manifold, coolant and zip ties (they go on the fuel injectors) and all the shops wanted to charge me 500 bucks.

Add your comment to this topic!