Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

cat converter getting red hot

jmrucker
04-02-2011, 10:14 PM
1977 mgb, I started it for the first time this year and it seemed to be chugging and blowing black smoke out the tail pipe. I checked under the hood and the cat converter was cherry . so i shut it off right away. any ideas of what it could be? i'm guessing a plugged converter?

snshddog
04-03-2011, 07:21 AM
I would check for a cylinder that is not firing. That would push unburnt fuel into the exhaust which would explain black smoke and a overheating cat. A plugged cat should not make the black smoke. Could be a stuck float in the carb causing overfueling. There other possabilities but I would start there.

jmrucker
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
I would check for a cylinder that is not firing. That would push unburnt fuel into the exhaust which would explain black smoke and a overheating cat. A plugged cat should not make the black smoke. Could be a stuck float in the carb causing overfueling. There other possabilities but I would start there. thanks for the help i'll start there, it just might be the carb i have never rebuilt it and it has sat a long time i ran it last year when i started to work on it but it sat all winter thanks again.

thepeggasus
07-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Another possibility are the screws securing the automatic choke assembly to the carburetor. They can back out over time thus allowing the mixture to richen. This can also cause a fuel leak leading to a fire so this should be checked in any case.

danielsatur
07-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Also check similar threads @ the bottom of yours.

Add your comment to this topic!