Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bet no one knows how to fix this one!

Tampa 735il
10-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Bmw 1988 735il:
The oil service indacator bar left lamp lights; the right bulb maybe burned out, after 5-seconds after the door is closed. When I open the door it goes out then comes back on in 5-seconds, it did show low window washer befor I added some fluid. Now its just blank. Anyone seen this or know where to start if I remove the cluster fuse it goes out. I would like to make sure this will not drain the battery.

lincolnmaster80
10-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Bmw 1988 735il:
The oil service indacator bar left lamp lights; the right bulb maybe burned out, after 5-seconds after the door is closed. When I open the door it goes out then comes back on in 5-seconds..... Anyone seen this or know where to start if I remove the cluster fuse it goes out. I would like to make sure this will not drain the battery.

I would guess loose connection with the bulb itself or the circuitry. Considering you just did a valve clearance adjustment, did you change the oil as well? If you did, did you reset the oil service indicator? Anyways, that question was a side point... The fact that the bulb comes on means it's not out. The connector in the back may have just wriggle loose a bit and is on the verge of making contact. I don't see how it would drain the battery considering when the car is shut off, power to the C/C and instrument cluster is shut off. Removing the cluster fuse would shut power off to the cluster so obviously it will go out when doing that.

Bmw 1988 735il:
it did show low window washer befor I added some fluid. Now its just blank.
It will show "Washer Fluid Low" only when the washer fluid is actually low. If topped up, the warning will clear itself until it is low again, then it will come back.

Tampa 735il
10-14-2010, 01:47 PM
If you look at my post its not that the bulb is out it is that the bulb stays on.
The service indacator glows with no information on it with the key off. When I open the door it goes off for 5-seconds then goes back on.
It is almost like it is trying to show me a warning although no information is on the display.
Yes I will reset the oli service lamp it only shows 3-bars once car is started and works normaly.
Other then that it works as designed, I would believe it will drain the battery over time.
If power is off to the CC then this lamp is getting information/ voltage from another circuit and the door opening interrupts it.
It has me miffed!

lincolnmaster80
10-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Oh okay, interpreted what you were saying a little differently at first. This one just might be beyond me, I'll admit. I haven't had much problems with the instrument cluster yet...watch this, now I'll have problems...

When you lock or unlock and/or open the drivers door, a few of the cars systems will energize. The check control display will energize, the window switches will illuminate, the central locking (of course) and there's a few others that I can't name off the top of my head.

When you park your car after driving it, shut the engine down, get out and lock the door, the window switches and C/C display will remain on for a few seconds up to about 15 or 20 seconds or so, maybe as long as a minute. No information will be displayed during this time if there aren't any errors. To see if you have any errors, turn the ignition to POSITION II (run, just before you start) and push the right button on the cluster.

I may still not be understanding you correctly but if I am it seems that this may be "normal" operation. I'll run out and make a video of my instrument cluster and post up and you can compare. :icon16:

lincolnmaster80
10-14-2010, 03:02 PM
A point of note, the car's battery will go flat after about 3 months under normal circumstances. If it is going flat in say a few days, then you either need a new battery, need to address the alternator or you have an electrical system that is not shutting down properly.

Here you go:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s230/viper_crazy/th_VID00004-20101014-1243.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s230/viper_crazy/?action=view&current=VID00004-20101014-1243.mp4)

Tampa 735il
10-15-2010, 06:29 AM
You maybe on to something; I am having a little trouble with the door locks some times when locking far left the locks will go down then pop up. Since it is related to the door opening maybe the door switch sensor is acting up on one door and it thinks it is still open on the cluster. The battery is new and charging correctly.
This is my son's car that has been in storage for 4-years and I am going through it to fix all the little things.
I have 2-Porsches; 928's and an 68 Vett and have rebuilt from the ground up. I do have a lot of knowledge on most systems; like the 928 each model has some unique electronics and it helps if someone has seen the same issues before.

Add your comment to this topic!