Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

lower ball joint

killermrob83
08-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Have a bad lower ball joint on the driver side of a "99 CV S model with 201k miles. What else should I consider replacing while doing the work for this one? I'm thinking maybe at least the upper ball joint on that side, if not all of the front ball joints as a front end alignment will be in order when the job is completed.

killermrob83
08-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Been searching around for ball joints. Has anyone heard of Mevotech suspension parts, and if so, are they of good quality? If not, what would you suggest? I'd like to put some Moog joints on the car but they're pretty pricey.

Blue)(Fusion
08-17-2010, 03:10 PM
I've heard of a few people just opting to replace the full control arm assemblies instead of just the ball joints. The amount of work is the same. After 200k miles, the rubber bushings in the control arms are probably pretty sloppy.

I use Moog or Energy Suspension bushings whenever possible.

I have not heard any bad things about Mevotech. I do believe those are greaseable ball joints - be sure to grease them periodically. Honestly, the OEM sealed ball joints last a pretty long time and aren't terribly expensive if you order them online (Yokum Ford or Tasca Ford).

Add your comment to this topic!