Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 745i no power to cigar lighters

reino134
06-26-2010, 10:47 AM
I checked all power outlet fuses and they test good. Still cannot figure out why I cannot get the outlets to work. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

lincolnmaster80
06-27-2010, 02:07 AM
What have you checked and have tried?

reino134
06-27-2010, 06:22 AM
I checked all fuses in the main block in the trunk, and also checked the ones in the fuse block in the glove box. checked them with an ohm meter. I have no blown fuses that I can locate. All 4 power outlets are dead. Has to be something simple and i just cant locate it!

reino134
06-27-2010, 07:20 AM
I have power to the 50 AMP fuse but nothing from the 50 AMP to the 2 20 AMP fuses in the block. Also just realized that the 3 lighters are not lighters at all! They are just plastic plugs covering the outlets. Any ideas? I know that this was a previous lease vehicle..

lincolnmaster80
06-27-2010, 11:59 AM
The general consensus is that fuses are the problem, the ones in the glove box. For good measure, I usually replace the fuse with a new one, just in case. If you don't have new ones, you can pull another fuse from another non-essential circuit (i.e.: power windows if it's the same amps) to test out. I'm curious why they'd put in cigarette lighter blanks?

Anyways, I've heard that car chargers will blow fuses. Not sure why that would be but some owners unplug their car charger when not in use. If replacing the fuses check out, then my next guess is wiring. I've heard these had problems with that.

Also, if you have the manual, give that a look see for fuses; they've probably hidden more somewhere. That's all I can give you. I don't know much about these cars. If it was an E32 on the other hand.... :)

reino134
06-28-2010, 12:32 AM
I am going to call the dealership this morning and ask them if they have any insight into this. Fuses were all pulled and checked and double checked, just does'nt make any sense to me! Thanks for your attempt at helping out.....

reino134
06-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Okay! There is a relay between the 50 amp fuse and the 2 20 amp fuses. The relay is bad and does not allow power to the 20 amp fuses or to the outlets. Cant believe the dealership was willing to disclose that to me over the phone without a paid visit!

lincolnmaster80
06-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Cant believe the dealership was willing to disclose that to me over the phone without a paid visit!

Never hurts to ask. That's good stuff, personal thanks for replying with the fix. Not many people do when they find the answers, they never disclose what they found.

As for the dealership, I've found that they will give you lots of info if you call in and ask, especially if it's something small like a relay.

reino134
07-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Bad news! Replaced the relay and that did not cure the problem. the outlets only work when they feel like it. sometimes they are on, and sometimes they are off. Seems to relate to the ignition switch. The dealership is going to take a peek at it on Thursday and see if they can figure it out.

lincolnmaster80
07-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Well, I know on the E38's the ignition switch can cause a bunch of problems due to wear. I think the E65's have that fob slot in the dash...maybe a connection isn't closing properly all the time and not closing the relay, hence why the ciggy lighters aren't working all the time.

07-14-2010, 03:09 PM
there is power module that is not giving positive voltage to the coil of the relay so problem is the relay is never being energized to create magnetic field and to switch controlled circuit (12V from 50A fuse to 20A fuse). My suggestion is that you remove the relay that you just replaced and you will see terminals marked as 4,8,6,5 and 2, then with the test light or DVOM check that you are getting 12V at the terminal 6 of the relay, if you see 12 V use jumper wire to bridge 6 with 5. it should work now. Please post back results. Good luck - al Once you jump this two terminals do not install relay

sologuy10
09-11-2010, 08:38 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:iceslolan

Never hurts to ask. That's good stuff,BMW (http://4carpictures.com/category/bmw) personal thanks for replying with the fix. Not many Car (http://4carpictures.com/) people do when they find the answers, they never disclose what they found.

As for the dealership, I've found that they will give you lots of info if you call in and ask, especially if it's something small like a relay.

Add your comment to this topic!