Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mileage comparison between 1995 and 1999 Crown Vics

LouB
06-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Hello,

In 1999, we bought a used 1995 Crown Vic LX, with 62,000 miles on it. It had been well maintained and was in excellent condition. It had platinum plugs. From the time we got it until we sold it a few weeks ago, we got an average of 18 to 19 miles per gallon (in town), in all seasons of the year. (And during the entire 11 years that we owned it, we NEVER had it tuned!)

A few weeks ago, we bought a used 1999 Crown Vic (std, not LX), with 83,000 miles on it. It has been equally well maintained and is also in excellent condition. I do not know what kind of plugs it has. We just checked the mileage on it for the first time the other day, and we got 16 miles per gallon (in town).

These were both one-owner cars, both bought from individuals.

Can you think of any reason why this newer Crown Vic would get less mileage than the older one?

Again, these cars had both been maintained by very meticulous drivers, and I knew both of them. We have driven this one the same way that we drove the other one. I have heard that platinum plugs can add mileage, and I don’t know whether this one has platinum or not, but is that the only thing that could cause this?

Thanks,
Louis

Blue)(Fusion
06-04-2010, 12:47 PM
The 98+ body style (aka "Whales") are heavier than the 92-97 models (aka "Aeros"). The weight difference is about 400 pounds and can affect mileage.

Also, you may have a different rear gear ratio than your 95. Check the tag on differential housing or check the sticker on the door. 2.73s are the standard for civilian models, but HPP and Police Interceptor models can have 3.27s or 3.55s. The previous owner may have had them swapped, too. 2.73s will give you best mileage at constant speed, but 3.27s or higher may actually give you better mileage if you do alot of stop-and-go traffic.

Plat plugs will not increase MPG because of their chemical makeup. Platinums are just generally the preferred plugs because they last a long time because they are harder and have a higher melting point, compared to copper plugs. If the plugs have not been changed yet, just go ahead and do it. I recommend sticking to Motorcraft plugs.

Some other things you might want to look into is make sure you're running proper tire pressure, the fuel and air filter are clean (replace if unsure), fluids, and carbon in the cylinders.

I'm sure you've checked all of the fluids already, but if anything looks dirty, change it. Dirty fluids don't work as efficiently as clean ones.

If the old owner didn't open up the throttle once in a while, there's probably carbon buildup in the cylinders. Do a Seafoam treatment in the intake system and fuel tank. Do NOT introduce Seafoam to the oil - some say it works, but I don't think it is worth my oil thinning out.

While you're at everything else, clean your MAF with CRC MAF Cleaner, and you may want to consider replacing your upstream HO2 sensors. These usually start to get lazy around 80-100k miles.

LouB
06-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your very informative reply. I didn't know that this body style was called "Whale", but I can see why it is. Our 1995 Vic was much "sleeker" front and back, and I can see why it was called "Aero" design. I really wish that Ford had stayed with that design for the Vic.

I looked at the door stickers, but I don't see a gear ratio. All that I see are gross weights and vin numbers.

We've already changed the air filter, and from the previous owner's maintenance log, we know that the fuel filter was changed not too long ago. From the log, it appears that the car has had its plugs replaced twice, the last time about 2006.

We love the car, but we were just wondering why the mileage wasn't as good as the older one, and thanks to you, I understand it a lot better.

Louis

Blue)(Fusion
06-04-2010, 01:26 PM
I prefer the newer design, but I do wish they went with the lighter materials for the trunk and hood lid like on the older models.

I don't know what kind of driving conditions you go through, but if I use a light foot I can get about 18-20MPG on average in the city and 26-28MPG highway in my car (pretty much same thing as yours). My dad's '99 CV gets about 17-18MPG city and 24-26MPG highway in the same conditions due to the 3.27 rear gears he has.

LouB
06-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks again for the reply. What year Crown Vic is yours? And if you don't mind my asking, how many miles are on your car, and how many miles are on your dad's car?

So far, my wife and I haven't put over about 150 miles on the car since we got it, and most of it has been on very short, in town trips. Maybe we'll see better mileage as we drive it more. I use a light foot on it.

Louis

Blue)(Fusion
06-04-2010, 02:35 PM
I have an '00 Grand Marquis and my dad has a '99 Crown Vic LX with the Handling & Performance Package (which comes with 3.27 rear end, stiffer front sway bar and a rear sway bar, and rear air suspension). The Grand Marquis uses the same platform as the CV, by the way. Only difference is some of the detailing.

He has about about 60k on the clock and I just turned 104k. And by the way, my gas mileage is the same with my modifications in my signature as it was stock, so they did not help or hinder my reported mileage.

LouB
06-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks again. I really appreciate the information.

ctabacchi
06-25-2010, 09:24 PM
I have a 98 lx and will get 24-26 hwy in the summer and average 22-24 for everday driving. have 172k, everything stock except a k&n air filter. VEry happy except for the drivers seat is worn out.

LouB
06-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the info. Since I first posted, I've checked my mileage again, and this time, I got slightly over 18 miles per gallon in town, so I'm satisfied at this point. I haven't had it on the highway yet.

Add your comment to this topic!