Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Crown Vic S model steering

killermrob83
05-15-2010, 06:48 PM
My dad's CV with 198k+ just developed a steering problem today. There is some resistance in turning the steering wheel in either direction from the moment that you start turning and then approximately every 65 degrees of rotation. The fluid level is correct, the belt is about 6 months old, and the pump sounds normal. Is this a steering column issue? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Stick462
05-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Fords have a problem with the unaversals going dry on the steering shaft .Try lubing them with WD40 or other lubicant for a fix .The proper Repair is to replace the lower steering shaft to make the repair safe.

Blue)(Fusion
05-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Check the U-joints. Also get under the car and clean the EVO connector. It is located by the oil filter. There are two connectors - one is on the oil filter body which is the oil pressure sending unit and the other (IIRC it is the white connector) is EVO connector on the power steering unit.

These connectors get dirty from oil and other debris. Disconnect them, clean them out with electrical parts cleaner and let dry. Apply dielectric grease and reconnect.

killermrob83
05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
I sincerly appreciate the info and as soon as my dad is done driving the wheels off of the thing and it has a slight chance to cool off I will go ahead with the aforementioned fixes and let you know what I've fgound and how it all turns out. This site and the people who use it are, in my opinion,
PRICELESS!

killermrob83
05-18-2010, 04:32 PM
The first thing that I did was to lube the universal on the lower (intermediate?) steering shaft and that did the trick, at least for now. How much of a bear is it to replace this shaft as I am not a fan of temporary fixes, especially when safety is a concern? Thanks again.

way2old
05-18-2010, 06:51 PM
The shaft is fairly easy to remove. We soak the shaft in transmission fluid overnight and work the u joint occasionally so the fluid gets in the joint. Have had real good luck with it.

killermrob83
05-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Can you direct me to a procedure for removing this intermediate shaft? I checked out what Autozone has and it didn't seem to be real specific as to what they were talking about.

Blue)(Fusion
05-20-2010, 12:52 PM
I don't know where to get the procedure except in some service manuals, but here's some dissembled pictures that may help.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/steering/column/disassembled/pictures/

Add your comment to this topic!