Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

70 mgb question

70 mgb guy
05-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey all great site.
I have a couple questions.
1.my cars has a very rough idle up and down up and down,And it dies when I put the brakes on.Also when I go about 65 mpg,the front end feels very loose and wobbles when i hit bumps,Feels very solid at lower speeds ,no play at all in front end.it just gets very light feeling up front.

thanks in advance

Josh

70 mgb guy
05-07-2010, 07:29 PM
engine pic

paul J
06-19-2010, 06:18 AM
Josh, If your tires aren't out of balance, your wheels might need "tuning". Wire wheels need tuning and truing by tightening some of the spokes that loosen under normal use. If the car is driven regularly, once a year or, I like, 10,000 miles. The adjustable wire wheels are the most neglected item on a wire wheel car. Now this of course is if the front end is tight and doesn't have loose joints!
Running poorly and surging could be the weber carb you seem to have on your car and it could also be the distributor needs a rebuild. Faulty distributors on MGBs cause more problems than imaginable and in doing so cause people to start adjusting the carburettor. Check the distributor first on that issue and if it's in top condition, then go to the fuel system, fuel filter, fuel pressure, (2 to 3 Lbs) and then the carburettor. Hope this helps a little. PJ

Add your comment to this topic!